Travelling can be very stressful at times, but perhaps this can help you release some stress.
Favoroute has created a list of 40 unexpected random fun facts you need to know before planning your next vacation. Who knows, maybe these random fun facts could help make or break your future travel plans!
Random Fun Facts: United Kingdom
1. All the swans in England are property of the Queen.
2. In the Scottish Hebrides, an island is defined as being an island if it is big enough to sustain 1 sheep.
3. Great Britain was the first country to issue postage stamps, so their postage stamps are the only ones in the world without the name of the country of origin.
4. Christmas was once illegal in England.
Random Fun Facts: Europe
5. What is called a “French kiss” in the English speaking world is known as an “English kiss” in France.
6. There is a hotel in Sweden built entirely out of ice; it is rebuilt every year.
7. ‘Vodka’ is Russian for ‘little water’.
8. There is a city called “Rome” on every continent.
10. Bulgarians are the biggest yogurt eaters in the world.
11. There is a town in Norway called Hell, and it freezes over almost every winter.
12. ‘Mobile phone throwing’ is an official sport in Finland.
13. If you are pregnant in the Netherlands, you are temporarily allowed to pee in a canal, something that is usually illegal.
14. Two tourists in Capri, Italy, were arrested for wearing excessively loud flip flops.
Random Fun Facts: South America/North America
15. Every year more than 11,000 Americans injure themselves while trying out bizarre sexual positions.
16. In Kentucky, USA, it is illegal to carry ice-cream in your back pocket.
17. Mailing an entire building is illegal in the U.S. since a man mailed a 40,000-ton brick house across Utah to avoid high freight rates.
18. In Mexico, the Tooth Fairy is known as the ‘Tooth Mouse’.
19. In Canada, it is legal for a farmer to rent advertising space on his cows.
20. Los Angeles’ full name is “El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula”.
21. Dueling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.
22. When a Hawaiian woman wears a flower over her left ear, it means that she is not available.
23. It has NEVER rained in Calama, a town in the Atacama Desert of Chile.
24. Seven out of ten Panamanians haven’t heard of the song “Panama” by Van Halen.
Random Fun Facts: Asia
25. Grenades were invented in China over 1,000 years ago.
26. The Chinese ideogram for ‘trouble’ depicts two women living under one roof.
27. In India, pyjamas are accepted as standard daytime wearing apparel.
28. India has a ‘Bill of Rights’ for cows.
29. Dying at 81 is considered taboo in Bhutan and believed to bring bad luck to the deceased’s family.
30. India has never invaded another country in its entire history.
31. Buzkashi, a very popular sport in Afghanistan and Central Asia, is polo played using the headless carcass of a goat or calf.
32. The glue on Israeli postage is certified kosher.
33. North Korea uses a fax machine to send threats to South Korea.
Random Fun Fact: Africa
34. In 1888, a peasant discovered an estimated 300,000 mummified cats in Beni Hassan, Egypt.
35. There is Hollywood in America, Bollywood in India, and Nollywood in Nigeria.
Random Fun Fact: Oceania
36. Bird droppings are chief export of Nauru, an island nation in the Western Pacific.
37. Australian koalas are in danger of extinction because over half of them have chlamydia.
38. The longest place name still in use is: Taumatawhakatangihangaoauauotam-eteaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokai-whenu a kitanatahu – a New Zealand hill.
Random Fun Facts: Antarctica
39. The international telephone dialing code for Antarctica is 672.
40. In the Arctic, the sun sometimes appears to be square.